Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What Does Motherhood Mean?

It means:

having to wash 52 rainbow squares and letters each week

washing bottles and sippy cups and binkies all day

buying every sippy cup available on the market until you find one your kid finally takes

spending the wee hours of the night cutting slits into all the binkies in hopes of weaning your kid off of them and hiding the ones you're keeping "just in case"

having to wear these to sleep as a temporary fix for all the blisters you end up with on your fingers from prolonged water exposure

To all the mommies out there, a big kudos because mommies need praise too and a good pat on the back every now and again. The bars are set high for a lot of moms out there. Too high sometimes. I can't speak for anyone else, but with all that I feel I do now, there are many more things I feel I "should" be doing that I just can't get around to. The days lack the amount of hours I need to get everything I want done. I also think society in whole sets the bar too high that we feel we should be that "super mom" and so what we do manage to get done is hardly "good enough". It is true that not all women are, or choose to be, homemakers anymore. More women now than ever before stand tall in highly respectable positions, have high powered jobs and social stasuses. However, once she has a baby, (I think) it is still expected of them (a subconscious expectation even - of themselves and others alike) to not only hold their positions in their social and publicly known status, but also remain capable of running in perfection with everything from home made dinners, a perfectly behaved kid, a spotless home and never have a hair out of place. That may be an extreme example, but I personally don't think it's that far fetched. I stay home with my daughter and sporadically do some work from home, and most days I'm still disheveled, barely conscious, constantly cleaning, feeding, changing, running after her, and it's far from easy. It's worth it, but it's not without cost. So - Kudos mommies!

2 comments:

  1. and yet, she is as beautiful today as she was on our wedding day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Chris Chung AWWWWWWW! Shucks. Thank you, Husband. Is that a compliment compliment or will there be a "I did something and you're not going to be happy" following this? Because if it's a compliment compliment, I love you. If it's the latter, well, I still love you, but I may not like you so much. =)

    ReplyDelete